Board and Board Committee volunteers govern and provide strategic direction to Fife House.
The Board of Directors is comprised of twelve volunteers with a range of skills and experience. Board members are elected at the Fife House Annual General Meeting, typically held each July. Board members serve a two-year term with a maximum of three consecutive terms. To help ensure that the Board never loses sight of the realities of living with HIV/AIDS, the Board always includes at least two individuals who are HIV positive.
Four Board Committees support the activities of the Board. These committees include Finance, Human Resources, Development, and Board Development. Board Committees are comprised of Board members, as well as additional volunteers. Board Committee members can serve a term of indefinite length.
Volunteers typically sit on a Board Committee for one or more years before putting their name forward for election to the Board of Directors.
To qualify, you need to:
- be over the age of eighteen;
- submit a letter of interest to Keith Hambly, Executive Director of Fife House;
- attend an interview with one or more members of the Board Development Committee;
- have skills and/or experience in a specific area of expertise (e.g., financial management, human resources, strategic planning, development / marketing / communications / event planning, legal, service delivery); and
- have knowledge or a commitment to learn more about the needs of people living with HIV/AIDS.
If accepted, a Board or Board Committee volunteer must attend a two-hour Board Development orientation.
Volunteers who are members of the Board or a Board Committee at Fife House may be involved in one or more of the following duties:
- attend regularly scheduled and ad hoc meetings;
- take a leadership role in events or projects;
- be available to the Executive Director as a sounding board for strategic initiatives;
- act as an ambassador for Fife House; and
- provide a leadership gift to Fife House (if your resources allow).
It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that Scott Gibson, a long time supporter and past Board Member of Fife House, has passed away.
Scott gave of himself to many charities here and in Africa . It was his experiences in supporting development activities in Africa where he saw the impact of HIV and AIDS on families and communities. Scotts' passion and commitment were infectious and he was every part of making Fife House a great organization. Scott was with Fife House at its critical transition from a small organization to one that was developing and eventually opening our Sherbourne location. He certainly challenged Fife House staff and Board to be a well-respected agency that delivered high quality service to all our clients.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Scott’s wife, Maria, and his beautiful daughter, Zarina.