Where are the residences (programs) located?

Our newest building with 56 units of supportive housing (bachelor, one and two-bedroom apartments) in central Toronto. An 82-unit apartment building is in the downtown area and another is located in Toronto's west-end.

How many people do you serve?

Fife House served 600 people living with HIV/AIDS during the 2014/2015 fiscal year, including 200+ people in our residential housing programs and 360 people through the Homeless Outreach Program. 

How did Fife House get its name and when did it begin?

George Fife was a lawyer who died of AIDS in 1988.  His struggle inspired a community group, led by his friend and fellow lawyer Mary Anne Shaw, to establish Fife House as a charitable organization to provide housing for individuals when they became unable to cope.  Fife House was established in 1988 and opened the first house in 1990.

Are there other organizations like Fife House?

Yes, however Fife House is the largest provider of supportive housing services to people living with HIV/AIDS in Canada.  Fife House provides 80% of the supportive housing and support services available to people living with HIV/AIDS in the Greater Toronto Area.

What is the difference between Fife House and Casey House?

Fife House provides rent-geared-to-income supportive housing and support services in 6 residential programs.  We also connect clients with private market landlords and not-for-profit housing programs through the Homeless Outreach Program.  Casey House is a sub-acute specialty hospital providing inpatient and community-based HIV care for HIV+ clients living with complex health issues or are at risk for deteriorating health.   The Complex Care project is a formal partnership between Fife House and Casey House.

What is Fife House's budget?

The budget for fiscal year 2015/2016 is $3.79 Million. Please see our latest Financial Statements (2014/2015) for further financial details.

How does Fife House receive funding?

Nearly 74% of our funding comes from government sources. Fife House's primary funder (70%) is the Ontario Ministry of Health Long Term Care Division. Additional funding is provided by the Local Health Integration Network, the City of Toronto and the Ontario AIDS Network. Other fundraising initiatives such as individual and corporate donations, grant appeals, and special events, provide the remainder of the funding.

Will I get a tax receipt if I make a financial or non-financial donation to Fife House?

Financial donations will receive an official tax receipt. Non-financial donations (gifts-in-kind such as bed linens, household items, artwork etc.) are treated on a case by case basis, and may be eligible for a tax receipt. Please contact the Director of Development and Communications (416-205-9888 ext. 222) before the donation is made to discuss tax receipts for items. According to the Canada Revenue Agency, Fife House is not able to provide receipts to those who receive a benefit for their donation (i.e. the purchase of a raffle tickets or entrance to an event).

How do I volunteer?

Our volunteers are a valuable and necessary component to the everyday activities of Fife House. Please call our Coordinator of Volunteer Services at 416-205-9888 ext.227 to discuss how you can help.

How do I become a resident?

Please call the Fife House office at 416-205-9888 and ask for an application.

For more information about Fife House; to request promotional materials; to request copies of our policies and procedures; etc. please contact the Director of Development and Communications at 416-205-9888 ext.222.

Donate Now Through CanadaHelps.org!\